Saturday 12 October 2019

Social Media Posts = THINK!

Dear All,

I've been thinking (quite hard) recently about the concepts and practice of online communications.

Something quite strange happens to people (I acknowledge - occasionally including me), when 'one' is  presented with a keyboard as a means of certain types of remote communication - With 'one's social media etc. posts habitually being formed in a quite different manner and content (generally) from (say) business emails.

I'll leave the psychologists in my life to explain the detail to me - but it's a resultant effect of something akin to the difference between communications between two vehicle drivers (= often snarling rage) -v- two pedestrians (= frequently over-done politeness) - often in much the same set of circumstances (save for the disassociation arising from the physical 'separation' of the relevant individuals) .

It was brought to my attention recently that many schools now use a 'THINK' acronym to teach appropriate communications to young people (not least for the purposes of avoiding bullying behaviour).

There are a number of variations to the acronym, but I'm going to record (not least, for my own assistance - in terms of easy reference):-

Is it Truthful?

Is it Hateful?

Is it Immoral?

Is it Necessary?

Is it Knowledgeable?

Why am I talking about this now?

The answer is that over the last few years, the tone and language of online discourse has become increasingly nasty, and many of us (for example - whether supporting leave or remain in the Brexit debate ) have been targeted by trolls of the worst kind, who use language to harass and intimidate us.

Personally, I was mainly helped by realising that most of my worst abusers were 'bots' (or possibly that they were completely unable to inter-react with a reasoned argument for some other reason?)!

If you follow THINK, you can still comment upon your the appalling state of British (& American) public life (and the inadequate nature and abilities of too many of the individuals involved) - while hoping to do good / no evil.

I hope that the above helps you - It has me . . .

Regards

Dan.Johnson@EquitableLaw.com

+44 (0) 7788 537 187 = U.K. Cell. (& e-Tel.)

www.EquitableLaw.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment